Disposable plates and cutlery are convenient for outdoor events and social occasions where there are no running water or dish-cleaning facilities. Single-use tableware can save time and eliminate the hassle of cleaning dirty dishes. However, non-biodegradable disposable dinnerware has a very harmful effect on the environment. Using compostable single-use dinnerware may be a good way to reduce waste and protect the environment while enjoying the convenience of disposable products.
Biodegradable products are made of organic materials that can degrade naturally after disposal. While plastic disposables sit in a landfill for 1000s of years, compostable dinnerware takes 50 to 100 days to degrade.
As society makes more eco-friendly choices, many manufacturers have developed more sustainable products, made from natural, non-toxic, and biodegradable materials. Over the past few years, compostable partyware has been replacing non-biodegradable styrofoam and petroleum-based plastic products.
Pros and Cons of Palm Leaf Disposable Plates
With growing environmental awareness, the demand for disposable plates from palm leaves increases day by day.
Palm leaf plates are produced from naturally fallen Indian Areca Palm leaves. These plates are 100% natural and compostable. These plates are stylish and elegant, and they look much fancier than disposable plastic or paper plates.
Palm leaf plates will biodegrade in approximately 60 days. They are lightweight and safely burnable, which makes them ideal for camping.
A wide range of food can be served on palm leaf plates including wet foods and sauces. They are especially suitable for dessert, salad, and appetizers.
If you want to minimize environmental impacts for a better future, consider using palm leaf tableware for your special events instead of single-use plastics.
- Aesthetically pleasing: If you want to impress your guests, palm leaf plates are the most elegant and fancy disposable dinnerware. Paper or plastic dinnerware can look cheap when used for special events, such as weddings. Palm leaf plates provide a rustic look to your dining table and add a sophisticated natural touch to any occasion.
- Earth-friendly: Palm leaf plates are sustainable and eco-friendly as no tree is harmed to produce them. Only naturally fallen leaves are a raw material in production. Being biodegradable, these plates won’t harm the environment or make you feel guilty trashing them. They can look great combined with bamboo flatware.
- Safe: Palm leaf tableware is 100% natural and chemical-free. Unlike paper or plastic dinnerware, these plates can be used with hot food without fear of releasing potentially harmful chemicals into your food.
- Sturdy: Palm leaf plates can go with all sorts of food. They are heat, grease, and puncture-resistant. They are sturdier than paper plates and thick enough to hold food without getting “soggy” or limp.
- Microwave safe: Unlike styrofoam or plastic ones, these plates can be used to reheat food in the microwave. You can microwave them on high for up to 2 minutes.
- Eye-catching: Each palm leaf dinnerware piece has its own unique texture pattern. Everyone will pay attention to these plates and they are a good starting point for conversation. Your guests will end up talking about the plates instead of talking about the food you serve.
- Not reusable: These plates are not washable, and they are intended to be used only once. When exposed to moist foods, palm leaf plates tend to absorb moisture. However, if you serve dry food in them, the plates can be reused one or two times.
- Strong smell: Palm leaf plates may have a strong smell which some people find unpleasant. However, the high-quality palm has a hardly noticeable smell due to special manufacturing steps that have been taken to eliminate the strong natural smell of palm leaves.
- Can start to decompose in humid environments: Palm leaf dinnerware could start to decompose if they get wet. Store them in a dry place before using them.
- Not price competitive: Palm leaf plates are more expensive compared to other types of disposable plates.
How to Buy
When you purchase disposable plates, get more than you think you will need! Otherwise, you can run out of plates, because people tend to take a new plate when they have dumped their first one. Also, make sure to buy separate plates for appetizers and desserts.
This post contains links to Amazon. The publisher may get paid if You purchase something through the links without additional costs to You.
How to Dispose of Palm Leaf Plates
Palm leaf plates are suitable for home composting or commercial composting if you have them in your area. They also can be safely burned, without emitting toxic vapors like plastic disposables.
Make sure not to collect compostable plates in a plastic bag and take it to the regular trash afterward as that way they won’t get composted.